Things I wish I'd known as a beginner - Right Side vs Wrong Side part 2

The brain is a wonderful thing, it constantly reminds us that sometimes we are wrong even when we think we're right, and sometimes we're "left brained" when we think we're "right brained" too. 

I'm right handed, and Crochet is something that right-handers sometimes struggle with. Though one thing in particular had been driving me absolutely mad since I started out crocheting. 

It's not something you'd notice unless you like making Amigurumi. Crocheting 'in the flat' is fine because the right side and wrong side are pretty much interchangeable at any time when you're working on something "2D" but when you're suddenly dealing with the INSIDE and OUTSIDE of an Amigurumi character, you're in deep deep trouble if you start working your work the wrong way (Amigurumi guruis are extremely harsh on folk who complete their work with the 'wrong side' out. I guess it's a bit like farting at dinner. Something people do, and no one complains about until someone notices!)

So here's a fantastic video that clears the whole thing up, and actually helped me to start working my work the RIGHT way (particularly when finishing off a piece, stuffing as you go and all those neat tricks that a good quality Amigurumi pattern will tell you to do as you progress). 


Up till now I've been working my work right handed, and holding the work in the 'flipped' way (wrong side out, and stitching ANTI CLOCKWISE). No matter what I did, I couldn't get my brain to understand that it needed to work CLOCKWISE but this video showed me the correct method, and though I'm a lot slower working that way, I think I'll be able to adapt. 

Better still, you can start your work to begin with, working anti-clockwise / wrong side out, then flip when your work starts to 'cup' (as the lovely lass in the video describes), switching to working clockwise which will mean your lovely bumpy Amigurumi work will look 100 times better. I've really struggled to flip and finish my work off neatly working the way I have been up till now but this has pretty much revolutionised the way I work. Never too old, nor too late in the day to learn something amazing about Crochet. 

Comments