"It's knitting Jim, but not as we know it!"

 

FINALLY! 

After several attempts, I managed to knit more than one row. This is a start, 10 stitches expanded into 4 rows. 

My wife paused while I was doing this, watching me intently before bursting out laughing at the sheer concentration on my face, and the sloth-like slowness of me trying not to drop stitches or lose my needles. 

In the end, it was again our old friend YouTube that filled in the missing pieces for me so I guess I'll pass on that knowledge to any banana-fingered would-be knitters, because you might find it useful too. 

First, watch the video below. Sarah from the Hobby Lobby does EXACTLY what I needed, shows her hands, shows the path of the yarn, and most importantly shows exactly what that right-hand needle is doing when you pick up a stitch and pass it over. 


Again thinking back to how I started out in Crochet, it took me AGES to find videos that properly showed what you did once you'd got your first foundation chain made and moved onto your first and second rows. Same with Granny Squares, so many videos explain the basics of doing one square but then fudge it when moving onto the next couple of rows around that square. 

I promise that if I share patterns here, crochet or knitting or otherwise, I will try and go through the whole thing from start to finish purely because it infuriates me when folk do a 'lazy pass' on tutorials. 

So now the next part. Learning how to purl stitch, or learning other types of knitting stitch, or (y'know) actually MAKING something. That'll be fun!

Comments