Wibbly Wobbly Death Machine

 

Oh I had a lot of fun with this one. After recently polishing off a fairly easy Adipose model for my brother I thought I'd work on something more challenging for his Crochet Doctor Who collection. 

Crocheting anything mechanical is awkward. Yarn doesn't really lend itself well to precise angular geometric shapes so crocheting a Dalek (of all things) wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. 

Thanks to this awesome pattern though, it's an absolute breeze though I really wish I'd done a better job with the 'dalek bumps' (which are actually puff stitches) and also wish I'd got my counts a bit more accurate as it might've helped with the spacing. 

BUT I think it was a success, purely because my wife (who is not a science fiction fan) knew exactly what it was as it began to take shape and told me off for wasting my time 'making a dalek when you could be learning to knit!' (Charming, thanks dear!)

Aside from the dalek bumps being pretty tough, it was also quite hard to make the sucker, eye stalk and gun for the thing as this involved some pretty tricky rounds to get a 'tube' shape (as you can see from mine, the

gunstick looks a bit worse for wear, purely because stuffing a thin tube with enough stuffing to make it stand up was a feat in itself). 

This took about 6 hours, not too bad by my standards but I'd definitely be up for having another go at a neater one. I still maintain that doing mechanical makes in crochet is a bad idea but I rather love this cuddly death-dealing chap, even if he does look slightly drunk and wibbly!


Comments