The perils of circular knitting needles (and too long a cable!)

 

Yep that's me, once again trying to unpick or untangle the sheer mess I end up with whenever I try to use circular knitting needles. 

In a slightly devil-may-care and haphazard fashion, the lure of these things has always driven me to try and run before I can walk when it comes to knitting. I'm fairly confident that I can knit with normal needles to....let's say a workmanlike standard. But circular needles? Ahhh the lure of producing a gorgeous seamless tube of knitting perfect for a jaunty beanie or two, or sleeves for a tasteless sweater in a colour that'll make my wife turn her nose up. 

So I bought a new set, the old set were just that little bit too small for producing much more than socks or gloves but this set are too flipping long. Like Goldilocks I might one day just actually read up, measure, and find the perfect set that match the circumference of my big ol' noggin, but I stumbled across this article on "The Magic Loop" technique of circular knitting. It's got "Magic" in the title, so of course I'm going to fall for it like a complete sap!

Magic Loop Technique – how to knit in the round using a single long circular needle | Tin Can Knits

The website / blog post here is great, laid out with tons of photos of the technique so I couldn't resist trying it out. 

Only...well, let's just say that the old adage "Twist your work using circular needles and you're buggered" is absolutely 100% true. For the life of me I could not keep my 90 or so stitches straight. 

But if at first you don't succeed, try try again is the doctrine I work to so I'm going to persevere. I love the idea of seamless knits (basically because in Crochet I've become so used to there being no seams or working 'in the round' that I really want to be able to do the same in knitting. 

Elsewhere in Knitting antics, I once again visited our local Aladdin's cave of a wool shop, coming out with some seriously chunky yarn (King Cole Super Chunky which sounds more like an ice cream flavour than a yarn). My daughter was drawn to the 'make it all in one' hat kits that came with a ready-made furry pom-pom to stick on the top so who knows, if I can nail this circular needle technique that might well be an early Christmas pressie sorted out for when the weather turns cooler. 

Happy knitting folks. If you're really bored, drop me a line, I'm always eager to yarn on about yarn. 

Comments