Finished (sort of) project - Ugly Space Invaders Christmas Sweater

 

Months in the making, probably costing at least a billion pounds in yarn, with more mistakes and imperfections than the subject of a John Legend love song, the Ugly Christmas Space Invaders Sweater is (mostly) finished. 

I worked from this pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simply-jolly-jumper#

...and I think it probably would have been more suitable for someone who automatically knew how to stitch up the finished article as the making-up instructions weren't that great (I'm still not sure about those weird sleeves!)

The neck is the first problem, being more suitable to fit Humpty Dumpty than me (not even my fat neck is that wide). Now trying to work out how I can fix it without ruining the whole thing (the pattern instructions were pretty vague about the neck anyway). 

Next there's the length. It's like a crop top so I'm wondering whether I should cast back on at the bottom seam and knit more ribbed stitches to make it longer. It might ruin the overall effect but at least it'd cover my tum / bum!

Other than those annoyances, it's been a learning experience and has taught me two valuable lessons. 1) Never try to knit a sweater with chunky yarn ever again (the thing weighs a ton! It's like a workout to wear it!) and 2) Fair Isle for a first jumper is a really really bad idea!! (To be fair to the pattern it did suggest using DK, I'm just stubborn and use chunky yarn for everything as DK always feels a bit too fine and flimsy for my terrible knitting skills. 

BUT all that said, it was fun to work on up to the end where knitting those identical sleeves (the only bit of the project that went OK I think) was a bit relentless. 

It's given me some food for thought, and it's also shown me the value of a knitted sweater in terms of cost (of materials) and the sheer amount of time it takes to knit one. So if anyone ever gives you a knitted sweater and you turn your nose up at it, think again about how much it would have cost 'em and how many long hours they put into it. That's love that is!!


Comments