Avoiding "Floppy Neck" syndrome when making Amigurumi

 

I'm currently making a set of Halloweeny Amigurumi in time for Sunday. Normally I follow patterns but I've got my confidence up with the things I've been making recently, so I've been 'free-crocheting' most of the models I make. 

One thing I really struggle with is "Floppy Neck" syndrome. Quite often when you're making crochet models, you stuff the head and the body but where the two join you can never seem to get enough stuffing in there (and sometimes if you 'overstuff', the stuffing shows through - ruining the effect if it's a dark coloured yarn you're using for your figure). 

However, I found a genius tip on a blog that helps if you are crocheting your body / head 'in one' 

Simply put, make an extra arm, stuff it, and stuff it down the neck hole of your model!

CLEVER!

The other good tip I had was to only partially sew the head to the body, cramming a bit of extra stuffing into the neck before sewing up the rest. That also helps but again it's quite tough depending on what type of yarn you're using to avoid the stuffing showing through. 

Simple tricks, and as you can see from the photo above, my little Nosferatu dude (who someone actually said looks more like Petyr from "What we do in the Shadows") can once again hold his head up high! Hooray!

Comments