Squid Game Amigurumi? Well it'd be rude not to...

 

Netflix's "Squid Game" is a violent, bloody and pastel-coloured spectacle that reveals more about the human condition than we'd probably like, but that didn't stop it inspiring me a bit over the weekend, and as Ravelry is on fire with various patterns for Squid Game 'soldiers' I thought I'd try and make one myself. 

They have a very distinctive look about them that lends itself well to converting to a simple Amigurumi figure. So I started out with the hood first, crocheted in the round from a Magic Ring (the usual "6x Magic Ring, Increases next round, yadda yadda yadda" until you end up with a sort of semi circle. Repeat the same for the black face but this time finish it off into a sphere (and note to self, use the same gauge yarn otherwise you'll need to pack out the hood / head a bit with stuffing to make it fit!)

From there it was simple to crochet a chain in white, to make the face shape (I had three different shapes planned out, put it to a vote on Twitter whether to go with Triangle, Circle or Square (or cross as a cheeky reference to Playstation's branding). Triangle narrowly won out, so it was time to think about the body. 

I tend to focus on crocheting two identical arms first (not as easy as it sounds). Again with the magic ring 6x, this time just extruded out into a long sausage shape (starting with black yarn then switching to red (as I had no pink) once the 'hands' are done). 

Next I work on the legs with an identical approach, magic ring, work the boots slightly taller than the hands in black, then switch to red. Complete one leg, then with a simple chain 3, link the two legs together and start crocheting round the whole thing, gradually decreasing to form a leg / body combo. 

Then it's simple to stitch the pieces together into the finished article. I did embellish things a bit further with simple embroidery to form a belt and gun harness, in all it took me probably about 2-3 hours to finish and the result isn't too bad, nice and cuddly (not that you'd want to cuddle one of these fellas in real life!)

It's been weird switching back to Crochet from Knitting, purely because I realised I'd forgotten the 'muscle memory' of forming magic rings and chains, and I'd definitely forgotten the importance of keeping consistent yarn weights for a really neat finish (I always say that if I had more time, infinite supplies of chunky yarn etc, I'd do a lot better with my crocheted toys but I'm sure most yarn wranglers would say the same). 

So there it is, it is currently propped up in one of the windows at home, keeping a silent vigil on the world as it passes by. Great fun project for a lazy weekend. 


Comments