Moo!

 

I haven't blogged here in a while for one reason or another, but over the weekend I decided to pick up my crochet hook and some scraps of yarn and just make...something. After the muscle memory of making 'rounds' with crochet (to make a couple of comfy inserts for a very uncomfortable pair of headphones) I asked my daughter if I could make anything for her room. 

"A cow" she said. And so this little character began...

As usual I went looking for free patterns online, and as usual I found a lot of "Amigurumi" patterns that were nothing of the sort but were more patterns for full size (read: Large!) soft toys rather than something small and cute like my daughter wanted. 

So I just got to work freeforming it. 

The cow's head started out really well, being a usual magic circle-based shape. You know the drill, 6 stitches in the round, doubled up on the next pass, then single crochet / increase 6 times, then 2 single crochet / increase 6 times before doing four rows of 18 sc then working the whole thing in reverse. 

The nose was just a magic circle with one set of increases.

Then a couple of cute eyes (I still have boxes of these)

Ears were 6x single crochet, 1 row of DC, then crochet all around x 2

Horns just 6 single crochet doubled back on itself - and that was the head. 

With the body (and the udders) I just did the same as the head but carried on the 18 stitch rows for about 6-8 rows before closing off, leaving a couple of gaps for arms. 

Arms were just 4xsc in a round for about 10 rows (same for the legs)

Sewed the whole thing together, voila one cow! 

I know I'd forgotten about the placement of limbs and how that's key to making an amigurumi soar on the the cuteness scale but for a couple of hours work I was just glad I could once again get back into making something tangible with scrap yarn. 

Kiddo has now challenged me to crochet Anime characters. Now THAT is a challenge..!



Comments